The Historic Fourth Avenue Business District is home to more than 50 contributing historic properties.

Fourth Avenue became a commercial district after the construction of the Fourth Avenue Underpass in 1916.

1916-1967, the Fourth Avenue District provided ready access to goods & supplies imported by the railroad & neighboring warehouses, accommodating University students, downtown business people & neighbors.

In 2016 the Fourth Avenue Commercial Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.